Who does this plan work best for?
Science has shown it - sugar is addictive. Often once you start, it can be hard to stop mindlessly munching the sweet stuff. The SUGAR SMART plan focuses on helping you kick those sugar laden foods to the backseat. This can be very beneficial to anyone wanting to really reduce their overall sugar intake and lessen the grip those foods have on your weight and your lifestyle. If you are ready to give sugars the cold
shoulder - this may be the plan for you.
Followed as intended, this plan can be significantly helpful for:
● Controlling sugar cravings
● Reducing your fast food intake (and your waistline)
● Managing Diabetes, Digestive Issues, SIBO, Thyroid Issues, PCOS etc
How does this plan work?
Each day you have a range of BITES to use. You have DAILY BITES calculated from your individual profile taking into account your age, gender, height, weight and activity levels. You also have access to a bank of WEEKLY BITES and can earn extra ACTIVITY BITES should you need them. This is in addition to the items on the  Bite Food List that you do not need to track but certainly can if you want to follow Calories or your
Macros (Protein/Fat/Carbs). Tracking Secondary Metrics is one of the great PRO features available to members.
To help you make better meal choices - lean protein and healthy produce choices have lower BITES scores and sugary or fast foods have higher ones. Think of it as a “throttle”. You can still have those items, but they will just cost you more, giving you a chance to stop and consider if it is something you really want.
This plan's calculations focus on:
Calories + Sat Fat + Sugar + Protein
With SUGAR SMART, you have a high number of DAILY & WEEKLY BITES in comparison to other Healthi weight loss programs. The minimum range is 30 DAILY + 14 WEEKLY. Both daily and weekly BITES decrease as you lose weight. ACTIVITY BITES are encouraged to be earned for fun, but not used on a regular basis in addition to WEEKLY BITES.
Carry over bites
This is the ability to save up to 4 of your unused daily BITES and have them carry over into your weekly BITES for use later. These reset at the beginning of each new week.
HOW DO I GET THE BEST RESULTS ON THIS PLAN?
● Nothing is off limits with this plan. You can still have your favorite foods but learning to choose them in moderation, make healthy ingredient swaps where you can and limit the amount of refined and processed sugars in your foods will greatly increase your chances of success.
● When thinking about your meals, a good rule of thumb is to have 1⁄2 meal come from healthy, non starchy vegetables as a salad or side, 1⁄4 meal in the form of whole grains, starchy vegetables or complex carbohydrates and 1⁄4 meal, a lean protein source. Sugar Smart makes choosing those proteins easier by offering them at lower BITES.
● In general, focus on reducing the amount of soda, fruit juices and sweet treats you consume daily. They can still factor into your day at higher BITES or you can make the switch to a sugar free version.
● REACH OUT TO YOUR COMMUNITY - To help you discover great recipes, ingredient swaps, or your next accountability buddy - join our SUGAR SMART group in the Community section of your app to see how other members are finding success on this plan. Follow us on Instagram for daily inspiration and join us on Facebook for weekly meeting details.
Zero Bites Food
All foods, as shown on the list, are  BITES. While all foods still contain calories, these healthy choices do not need to be counted as long as they do not contain any ADDED SUGAR or OILS on the label. Use these as the base for your meals and then utilize your daily BITES to round your meals out.
List of Zero BITES Food
• All foods on this list are TRUE  in any amount - fresh, frozen or canned (drained) without any ADDED sugars or oils.
• All dried fruits, plus several items such as nuts, seeds, avocado, medjool dates and coconut are always counted.
• On this plan - fruits and vegetables blended into smoothies and juices are counted. Use your pointed listings to track these.
• Naturally occurring sugars as indicated on the nutritional label are fine - only ADDED sugars in the ingredient list change things.
• To find these items listed correctly, just search the item exactly as shown on this list in the ZERO BITES GUIDE at the top of your food search bar (second tab from the left)
• Do not scan zero bite foods - this will use the full nutritional data and will show as BITES.
• Do not search by brand (Halo), specific type (Gala Apple) or preparation (Scrambled Egg) - this also uses full nutritional data.
Applesauce (Unsweetened only)
Cranberries (fresh only)
Figs (fresh only)
Pomelo / Pummelo
Artichoke Hearts (No Oil)
Beets / Beet Greens
Broccoli / Broccolini
Capers / Caperberries
Endive / Escarole
Hearts of Palm
Nopales / Cactus
Onions (All Varieties)
Peppers (All Varieties)
Pickles (Dill Only)
Pico De Gallo
Pumpkin / Pumpkin Puree
Salsa (Fat Free)
Scallions / Spring Onions
Seaweed / Nori Sheets (No Oil)
Snow Peas (in Pods)
Sprouts (All Varieties)
Squash (All Varieties)
Sugar Snap Peas (in Pods)
Tomato Sauce / Tomato Puree
(excludes Tomato Paste)
Turnips / Turnip Greens
Egg whites/ Substitutes
1-2 = 0
3+ = they become worth BITES
(Use the “Egg, white, raw, fresh listings - there are ones by the cup, by the tbsp and by individual egg size)
REMEMBER - the “Blended Fruit” rule applies to this plan. Fruit and veggies made into smoothies / juices should be counted.